Mental Health | We are here to help you get what you need:
Emotional or mental health problems can develop at any age. Many children have mental health issues that can seriously affect aspects of their lives: Here are some direct facts from the department of health services here in Minnesota:
• Studies estimate that mental health problems affect one in five young people at any given time.
• Many children and youth experience emotional disorders, such as depression, anxiety and attention-deficit, conduct and eating disorders.
• In Minnesota, 9 percent of school-age children and 5 percent of preschool children have a serious emotional disturbance, which is a mental health problem that has become longer lasting and interferes significantly with the child’s functioning at home and in school.
• An estimated 109,000 children and youth, birth to age 21, in Minnesota need treatment for serious emotional disturbances.
• Children and youth with a serious emotional disturbance experience risks related to reduced graduation rates, increased involvement with juvenile corrections and more substance abuse problems.